Saturday, July 6, 2013

4 hands bona fide elijah craig

I'm making an effort tom actually update this in a timely fashion and improve the quality of photographs used on here. This is the first post since I've had my tripod. There will undoubtedly be some shitty cell phone pics, but I'll try and keep those to a minimum.

Now to the beer. The Wine & Cheese Place has been selecting their own barrels from various whiskey distilleries for a while and have been passing them along to local St Louis breweries to age special release beers in. I have been lucky enough to try most of these so far and will definitely miss them when we move. This particular beer is from last year and was 4 Hands first foray into the program. They have since aged more Bona Fide in a Dry Fly Whiskey barrel, which I will write about as soon as I open it.
The first batch of Bona Fide (2012) was an extremely hoppy coffee and vanilla imperial stout, a combination that I really enjoyed. The barrel aged version gives it an extra dimension, again. Even after a year in the bottle, there is still a significant hop bite, with the coffee and barrel flavors following close behind. The vanilla comes out at the very end. This is a great beer, I just wish it wasn't so limited. This years Dry Fly version and the non-barrel aged version should be up here soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment