Sunday, July 21, 2013

ode to berliner weisse


















Ah, berliner weisse. This might be my favorite beer style of all in the summer. The other night, while grilling, I opened a Bayerischer Bahnhof Berliner Style Weisse. It's the first time I've had this one, but it definitely won't be the last. It's probably the most tart berliner that I've had to date, which is something I really enjoy. They aren't 'sours', but are tart enough, extremely refreshing and generally have low ABV's, making them perfect for the summer.
4 Hands released their Berliner last week, Prussia and I picked up a bottle at the brewery. Again, this is a great, refreshing beer at 3.5% ABV. It's not as tart as I would have hoped, but still a good representation of the style. They will be brewing a ruby red grapefruit version soon, which I am seriously looking forward to.
Two other St Louis breweries have also recently made Berliner's. Perennial's Tart Hopfentea is a collaboration with Hopleaf in Chicago and is brewed with a special tea blend. I had this a few weeks ago at their tap room. Refreshing, slightly tart with some tropical fruit flavors. I realize that with these descriptions I'm a bit of a broken record, but they hold true.
Ku'Damm by Urban Chestnut is another, more traditional Berliner. I won't describe it again, but you know the drill. The one thing all the local Berliners do have in common is that I wish they were more tart, like the Bayerischer. I'm very happy to be living in a place where local breweries are making beers outside of the normal realm.

2 comments:

  1. I love a great Berliner Weisse. I tried a home brewed Berliner probably 3 months ago that was brewed with local apricots... my god it was amazing. It was like a ramped up Magic Hat #9, but only clocking in at a 2.5 abv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the perfect summer beer. Perennial just released their peach berliner that was pretty decent. Last week I had the 4 Hands grapefruit that just came out, pretty solid,too. Still, none of them touch the Bayerischer. A berliner does seem like a very good homebrew candidate.

      Delete